Send me a card :)

If anyone reading this blog would like to send me a postcard, I would love it. Email me to get my address at: ashdepo@yahoo.com
Touristy postcards that show me your country, or city, or something significant about where you live are my favorite. If you would like one back, email me your address and I will be glad to send you from Minnesota USA as well.

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Postcards received today

Today I received 2 postcards from a friend who was in Chicago over the 4th of July. The first one was of the Navy Pier. A hardy welcome from Patch, the official mascot of Navy Pier. The pier was temporarily used as a military facility during World War 1. The pier now showcases a collection of restaurants, shops and exhibition facilities.


The next postcard that I received was a Did you know one from the John G. Shedd Aquarium. John G. Shedd Aquarium in Chicago, opened in 1929, is the 2nd largest indoor aquarium in the world, with 5 million gallons of water and 20,000 fish. The aquarium gets 2 million annual visits and contains 8,000 animals of 650 species including Beluga whales, sea otters, and dolphins. In 1933, Chicago hosted its second World's Fair, during which a Queensland Lungfish known as "Grandpa" was added to it's collection. Still alive, Grandpa is thought to be the oldest fish in a public aquarium.  In 1971, Shedd Aquarium added one of its most popular exhibits, a massive 90,000-gallon tank reproducting a Caribbean coral reef.  The equally popular "Wild Reef" shark tank, opened in 2003, contains 400,000 gallons of water and attempts to recreate a Philippine coral reef based on the Apo Island Marine Reserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment