Send me a card :)

If anyone reading this blog would like to send me a postcard, I would love it. Email me to get my address at: ashdepo@yahoo.com
Touristy postcards that show me your country, or city, or something significant about where you live are my favorite. If you would like one back, email me your address and I will be glad to send you from Minnesota USA as well.

Friday, May 26, 2017

Cabrillo National Monument-San Diego

Old Point Loma Lighthouse

 
Tidepool Area- The tidepool area consists of four zones. The first zone is called the splash zone because there is only an occasional splash from a wave. The second zone is the high tide zone. Sea snails and red-clawed crabs are found here. In the third zone, middle tide zone, there are mussel beds and patches of surf grass. This is also the habitat of the seastar, inset. The last zone is the low tide zone where rocks are encrusted with sponges and green surf grass thrives.



The Old Point Loma Lighthouse stood watch over the entrance to San Diego Bay for 36 years. At dusk on November 15, 1855, the light keeper climbed the winding stairs and lit the light for the first time. What seemed to be a good location 422 feet above sea level, however, had a serious flaw. Fog and low clouds often obscured the light. On March 23, 1891, the light was extinguished and the keeper moved to a new lighthouse location closer to the water at the tip of the Point.

This statue of Juan Rodriquez Cabrillo commemorates his 1542 exploration of the west coast and landing of Ballast Point. On September 28, 1542, he sailed into a harbor which he names San Miguel-now known as San Diego. His expedition explored more than 800 miles of coastline.


No comments:

Post a Comment