Send me a card :)

If anyone reading this blog would like to send me a postcard, I would love it. Email me to get my address at: ashdepo@yahoo.com
Touristy postcards that show me your country, or city, or something significant about where you live are my favorite. If you would like one back, email me your address and I will be glad to send you from Minnesota USA as well.

Saturday, May 27, 2017

Auschwitz II-Birkenau

This is also a postcard pack I got at the bookstore/gift shop from Auschwitz II. This is the part of Auschwitz that you think of when you think of it. It is the part that is usually featured in movies, and in most pictures. This first picture is of the postcard pack.


The railroad spur where the SS carried out the selection of deported Jews. In the background, the entrance gate.

The remains of gas chamber and crematorium II.

In the foreground, the remains of one of the first gas chambers, known as the "Little White Cottage". The place where the bodies of the victims were burned is visible in the background.

Part of the camp fence and a guard tower.

Pond near gas chambers and crematoria IV and V, where the human remains were dumped. 

The remains of gas chamber and crematorium V. 

On the left, the remains of gas chamber and crematorium IV, in the background the main camp bathhouse, where the procedures for receiving incoming prisoners were carried out.

The remains of gas chamber and crematorium III.

The railroad spur where the SS carried out the selection of deported Jews.

Part of the women's camp

This last card here was given to me by the leader of the tour that I was on. She also happened to be a former teacher of mine when I was in college. I had taken social work classes and holocaust study classes with her. The back of this card say the same thing in 3 different languages: "... In Auschwitz-Birkenau... on such a small area and in such a short time, the biggest cemetery in the world's history, a scene of wanton destruction was created..." 
Kazimierz Smolen
Auschwitz Inmate
No. 1327

No comments:

Post a Comment